Certified St. Louis
It’s just another great day in St. Louis, MO—but which of the guys had the MOST “Certified St. Louis” day ever? It’s a tough call! Ryan O’Reilly, Michael Chandler, Pat Maroon, Brayden Schenn, and Ric Flair swap some amazing stories about how their day around The Lou went. Between all the iconic people, places, and food they encountered, all five guys found some of the best parts of the Gateway to the West. Watch and decide who wins! to Follow our social pages to tell us your most St. Louis Day Ever.
Certified St. Louis
RIC “NATURE BOY” FLAIR IS CERTIFIED ST. LOUIS
- Ric Flair, a staple in the St. Louis wrestling scene, helped elevate Wrestling at the Chase while building his accomplished wrestling career.
- He was told that, in order to be a wrestling star, he had to be in St. Louis on a Friday night. That advice turned out to be on point.
- He was a member of the St. Louis Wrestling Club and earned one NWA Missouri Heavyweight Championship in 1983.
- Earned a spot in the St. Louis Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2007.
Ric “Nature Boy” Flair had the most Certified St. Louis day ever, and he gives the guys a rundown of his victories over a table filled with iconic STL food. After walking into one of his favorite restaurants, Anthonino’s Taverna, Flair was challenged to a Toasted Rav Rumble against Rizzuto. They went “South City” on this St. Louis specialty, but Rizzuto had nothing on this long-reigning wrestling champ. That’s about as St. Louis as you can get! Similarly, CarShield has been thriving in The Lou for over 18 years, helping drivers around the country stay protected from costly vehicle expenses.
BRAYDEN SCHENN IS CERTIFIED ST. LOUIS
- Although not a St. Louis native, Brayden Schenn is a current St. Louis Blues player and was part of the iconic 2019 championship team that won the Stanley Cup that year.
- Schenn joined the team in 2017 when he was traded from the Philadelphia Flyers. He was in the middle of a golf trip in California when he got news of the trade that would bring him to STL!
- Since joining, Schenn has been working his way through trying classic St. Louis-specific foods when he’s not training.
As the guys gather around some Imo’s pizza, hockey player Brayden Schenn describes his Certified St. Louis day. After snagging a Nelly record, he found a concert ticket on the sidewalk. Schenn dodged around pedestrians to return the ticket to its owner, Steve Ewing. However, Ewing told him to keep it and even offered him one of his famous hot dogs to take to the concert. That decked-out dog kept him full while rocking out in the STL-iconic Duck Room at Blueberry Hill. Nearby and also founded in St. Louis, CarShield employs over 1,200 people throughout the area—enough to fill a concert hall!
Pat Maroon IS CERTIFIED ST. LOUIS
- Pat Maroon is a homegrown St. Louis hockey athlete in the left wing position.
- His notoriety was cemented when he scored the game-winning double-OT goal in Game 7 of the 2019 St. Louis Blues Championship season.
- Maroon is a 3-time Stanley Cup winner, including the one he helped earn for the St. Louis Blues.
- As a kid from St. Louis with memories of sitting on his brother’s lap during hockey games at the old arena, grown-up Maroon was an unforgettable sight as he walked down Market Street carrying the Stanley Cup with his team.
Pat Maroon sips on steaming-hot Kaldi’s Coffee and narrates his amazing Certified St. Louis day to the guys. He left the Cardinals game to go to Ted Drewes for his favorite frozen custard—but the last one got sold to Fredbird! He politely asked if they could share, but instead this hockey star ended up having to arm wrestle the MLB mascot for a bite of that delicious sundae (no hard feelings). CarShield likes to hang out with Fredbird, too, since this STL-born company is a proud sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Michael Chandler IS CERTIFIED ST. LOUIS
- Born and raised in the St. Louis area, Michael Chandler is a Missouri native.
- After consistent honor roll and 3x varsity letter achievement in high school, he finished second at the 2004 Missouri State High School Championships in wrestling. This early success earned Chandler an award for “Most Valuable Wrestler.”
- Chandler then joined the All-St. Louis Team (2004) and captained the wrestling team at University of Missouri (2007-2009).
- Since his time competing in Missouri, Chandler has risen to international fame for his consistent MMA accomplishments.
While munching on a plate of Red Hot Riplets chips, MMA fighter Michael Chandler recounts his Certified St. Louis day to the guys. As he was picnicking on Art Hill, a CarShield Futbol Club player accidentally interrupted his lunch. (She plays for just one of the 85 youth sports teams in St. Louis sponsored by CarShield!) He kicked the soccer ball back, but the ball crash landed into the middle of a proposal. Chandler was out of there as fast as a Yadi home run sailing out of Busch Stadium.
Ryan O’Reilly IS CERTIFIED ST. LOUIS
- A day after marrying his high school sweetheart, Ryan O’Reilly was traded to the St. Louis Blues for the 2018-19 season.
- During his first season with the Blues, he played center on the St. Louis Blues Championship team that won the Stanley Cup Finals in 2019.
- O’Reilly played for 5 total seasons with the St. Louis Blues while leaving a lasting impact on The Lou.
Hockey pro Ryan O’Reilly had the most St. Louis day EVER. Over a bottle of Fitz’s Root Beer soda, he tells the guys about hanging out at City Museum, where he accidentally blocked off the big slide, making the traffic about as smooth as it ever is on Interstate 44. At the bottom of the slide, he found Jackie Joyner-Kersee and some delicious gooey butter cake. CarShield is committed to family-friendly fun, too, especially after bringing a decade of it to St. Louis through CarShield Field and other sponsorships!
(No hockey stars were harmed in the making of this great day in the Lou.)